Saturday, April 12, 2014

Prepping for Summer

The other day as I was getting ready for work, pulling on my new Banana Republic dress and slipping into my new Vince Camuto sandals, I caught a glimpse of myself in my floor length mirror. And I was blinded. How had I not realized how ghastly pale I was? And not in a flattering porcelain skin way, but in an ashy, sickly way! All winter, I've hidden under layers of wool and leggings and neglected my skin. I've forgotten to hydrate, exfoliate, and God forbid shave on a regular basis. The sudden realization came crashing down on me: I'm not ready for summer. I'm not ready for bare legs, or bare feet (hello, have I ever even heard of a pedicure?), and I'm sure as hell not ready for bikini season. I shudder just thinking about it. I blame it all on my post grad status. If I was still in school, I wouldn't be having this problem. I'd be surrounded by girls working out, detoxing, waxing, tanning, and primping getting ready for countless formals, spring break, and beach week. Instead, I'm surrounded by my middle age coworkers and my lazy dog on a daily basis. It's time for me to care again. So after that epiphany, I hightailed it to where else? The mall. I picked up a few goodies to help me transition from lazy couch bum to summer goddess. Haha, or something like that...

Essie Nail Polish in Off the Shoulder
Self Tan by Victoria's Secret

Hot pink nails look so good against tanned skin, at least in my opinion, and it's my go to color for spring and summer. As you can see, I go the faux tan route. Since getting a scary rash from a tanning bed and discovering my first wrinkle, (yes, it happened. no, I don't want to talk about it.) I'm so over any type of tanning that doesn't come in a cream/mouse/spray form. This is the first time I've ever used VS gradual self tanner, but I have to say I'm really impressed so far. After just one application, I have a natural looking tan besides the one spot I kind of missed...I'm thinking application #2 may be the real streak free winner. 

MAC Mineralize Lipglass in Cheerful
MAC Pro Longwear Concealer in NW20

Originally, I wanted to purchase the MAC Mineralize Lipstick in Style Surge, which is a gorgeous coral, but sadly they were sold out so instead I purchased this Lipglass instead. I love this gloss! It's not sticky, and it's not nearly as tangerine orange as it looks in the tube. It's more of a sheer orange gloss that looks great on top of coral lipsticks or by itself.

Let me just take a second and praise this concealer. I really don't know what I've been doing with my life before I bought this. This stuff is amazing. I use MAC Pro Longwear Foundation and absolutely love it, so it shouldn't be such a shock that I feel the same way about the concealer, but for some reason it is. This concealer is great! It takes very little product to conceal my dark circles under my eyes, my red cheeks, and any blemishes I may have. This will be great for summer since I really don't like to wear much face makeup in the hotter months. Did I mention this stuff stays put and doesn't move until you want it to? Yeah, it's pretty much a little miracle in a bottle. Buy it. 

2 comments:

  1. My legs are really, really, really white right now as well. I will have to try some of these products!

    Lauren,
    http://www.atouchofsoutherngrace.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The VS tan really does work. I've used it twice, and it hasn't turned orange yet. It's a nice buildable color though!

      Delete